Tuesday 5 June 2018

New gmail interface

I have loaded the new Gmail interface for my mail and love how fast it seems to work. I like the instant inline tools that appear as I roll the pointer over the email list and the convenient calendar, and tasks tools menu to the right. I don't know all the other changes that have been made under the hood but my immediate reaction was where are my contacts. They used to be under the GMAIL dropdown but no more. 

All is not lost though since they can be accessed using the nine dots google apps dropdown. If they are not on your list click More to pick the contacts icon. You can drag this up to the top of the apps list using click and drag.

Another feature is Snoozing where you can mark an email as remind you at a particular time or place etc. More about this I am sure to come. 

Gmail can now nag you if it feels that you have ignored an important email or content needs responding to. I am not sure this feature is for me but others have commented that when they have no time to respond to everything the idea or priority mail is attractive

Googles proposed confidential mail has not arrived just yet but I am sure that it will be along soon giving more control over mail with features such as time limited availability and two step verification.

The desktop layout is a cosmetic change that I find makes little impact on my working practice and the idea of focussed attachments for opening in preview mode could be a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment